On Being an Au Pair


First, I would like to thank everyone who is visiting this blog for your interest in myself and my experiences.
For those of you who may not know what it means to be an "au pair," it simply means to be a live-in nanny for a host family in another country, and learn about one another's cultures. The family provides a place in their home for the au pair to reside, and the au pair in return cares for the children and receives some additional compensation.
I absolutely adore travel, and hope to travel as much as possible for as long as I can! Being an au pair has been a wonderful means for me to do this and have the opportunity to see more than the major touristic sites, but also to truly experience the culture alongside the locals and have the family as a constant resource for learning and exploring. This is, perhaps, the reason that this is the third time that I have been an au pair... it's just to wonderful to resist!

Monday, June 20, 2011

A Country of Beautiful People, Places, and Things

Since my arrival in Italy, I have been fortunate enough to visit castles, walk through idyllic parks and streets, sit down on stone benches that are thousands of years old, and stand still in piazzas to admire the abundance of amazing architecture that is so prevalent in this country of beauty. Every new city has its own personality. Every new person exudes a welcoming presence. Every new ordinary Italian item has a history of careful creation that is evident in its refined details.
As a person who's spent a lifetime in constant admiration of all that is aesthetically pleasing, I can't help but feel that this could be the most perfect location in the world for me to be. When I take into consideration the fascinating history that could be studied for many lifetimes, and the readily available fresh produce, smooth coffee, and fine confectionary creations, I can easily imagine myself remaining perfectly content with a life here for a very long time.
For the moment, however, I'm only here for six and a half more weeks... which is why I need to make them count! So far, I've experienced some of the major highlights of the region, and I'm growing extremely excited to begin traveling to Sicily with the family this weekend, stopping to visit places along our journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment